Work Package 10: Advanced Bearing and Combustion Chamber Technology
- Optimize main bearing design for increased reliability by the use of advanced optimization, fluid-structure, thermal modeling tools and in 'engine-like' test rig validation.
- Lower the frictional loss in the main bearings of two-stroke engines by 10-15 %.
- Identify new piston ring - cylinder liner materials and surface technologies suitable for large marine diesel engines.
- Development of low friction piston skirt with 20 % lower frictional loss.
- Reduce the piston ring wear by 10 % and reduce piston ring-cylinder liner friction by 10 % (2-stroke) and 20% (4-stroke).
- Investigate the possibilities to reduce heat loss from piston crown cooling. How much can the heat loss be reduced with current and beyond state-of-art technologies (The energy which is taken out this way is in the range of 1.5 % of SFOC)
Work Package Highlights